This hearty potato cauliflower curry is an Indian dish made with potato, cauliflower, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, and aromatic spices for the best dinner or lunch. Aloo gobi is traditionally served with homemade roti (flattened whole-wheat bread) or basmati rice.
This post is available in the Romanian language!
Potato Cauliflower Curry – (Aloo Gobi) Recipe
Aloo means potato and gobi means cauliflower in the Hindi language. These two ingredients work great combined with a tomato sauce flavored with cumin seeds and natural spices. This potato cauliflower curry or aloo gobi can be made in 30 minutes or less for a quick dinner or lunch.
To make a perfect aloo gobi you need to follow a few simple steps because potatoes and cauliflower‘s cooking time differs.
Here’s how to make the best potato cauliflower curry at home.
You can make this recipe in three ways without overcooking the cauliflower or ending with undercooked potatoes. Cauliflower should be soft and not soggy!
Option 1: You can fry separately the potatoes and cauliflower until soft, then combine them in the tomato sauce.
Option 2: Cut the potatoes into 2cm cubes and add them to a pot with a pinch of salt and ½ tsp of turmeric. Boil them until they are fork-tender. Make the sauce, add the cauliflower florets and boil until is almost done. Add the potato and continue cooking for a few minutes.
Option 3: Cut the cauliflower into bigger pieces than the potatoes and boil together until nice and soft.
I personally like to fry them, and then combine it together in the spicy tomato sauce. This way I get a creamy texture every time! And very important, add the salt at last, because it may spoil the texture.
Serving Suggestion For Potato Cauliflower Curry
This aloo gobi can be served with homemade whole wheat flattened bread, which is very easy to make at home or with boiled basmati rice.
If you want to leave aside some carbs, then make an omelet (if you eat eggs), or a salad and serve it with your potato cauliflower curry!
Must-Try: Vegan Chickpea Spinach Curry
How To Make Best Potato Cauliflower Recipe
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes chopped, sub for 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chili powder, or 1 tsp to make it spicier
- 4-5 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
1. In a large pan heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the cauliflower florets for 3-4 minutes on medium-low flame. Remove from the pot and fry the potato cubes until it has softened and turned golden. Remove from the pot and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add the remaining oil and add the bay leaf, and cumin seeds, and let them crackle for a few seconds.
3. Now add the chopped onions and cook until it has softened and are translucent. Now add ginger-garlic paste and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes or until the raw smell it’s gone.
4. Add the green chili, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and chili powder. cover the pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes over low flame.
5. Stir in the cooked potato, and cauliflower, add the garam masala, cover the pan and let it cook for another 5-6 minutes on low flame if you want a dry dish. Add 1 cup of water if you want it in a creamy sauce.
6. Turn off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
7. Serve this delicious potato cauliflower curry with roti, naan bread, or basmati rice.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.