I get sick often, and when I do, I like to support my body with soups and fire cider plus various herbal preparations. Sometimes, when I’ve come down with something particularly nasty, I prefer to take something that not only tastes great but also to be effective against my symptoms. So I am happy there is such a thing as tasty medicine and you can find it as in the form of herbal syrup. So, let’s begin with home remedies for cold and sore throat.
An herbal syrup can help you get well soon. This is especially important if you’re not getting enough rest which is one of the most important factors of a speedy recovery.
How to make Herbal Syrup: One of the Effective Home Remedies for Cold and Sore Throat
When it comes to making an herbal syrup, there are many combinations and simplest recipes. Anyone can make this syrup because who doesn’t have honey and onion lying around? If you don’t shame on you because this simple combination can kick a cold or flu in short time. Much shorter than the typical long week. So make sure you always have around some honey and onions just in case. You’ll thank me for this when the time comes!
So you might be thinking “Yuck! Onions and honey” but this syrup tastes good.
Home Remedies for Cold and Sore Throat: Why this syrup work?
Honey is very soothing for coughs and raspy for throats, it is also anti-bacterial and will even kill viruses.
Onion, believe it or not, is a powerhouse of virus-fighting constituents. They offer nourishment along with immune enhancing properties. If you have a cough, the onion will help. Onions are also naturally anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antiviral.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Simple Onion and Herbal Syrup
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 1 Cup local honey ( use more if the onions are not fully covered )
- A small pot
Onion and herbal syrup- Preparation
- Slice whatever type of onion you have around, put the onions slices into the pot and cover it with honey.
- Turn the heat to low to avoid burning anything or kill too much of the naturally enzymes in the honey. Let the syrup gently heat up until onions turns soft, strain the syrup if desired using a mesh strainer and store in a glass jar in a cool dark place, the syrup can last a few months.
Dosage and Use
Whenever you feel a cold coming take 1 tablespoon for children over 1 years old and up to 1 TB for adults every 1-2 hours until symptoms disappear.
How to Make Onion Tea:
Second remedy against cold, sore throat, cough and chest pain it is onion tea, the taste it’s unpleasant but can be sweetened with honey. It’s a good natural remedy despite the bad taste.
Onion tea – Preparation mode:
- Take one large onion and cut in half, then pour some water into a pot and boil it 15 minutes.
- After boiling, cover the pot and leave it for few minutes, after few minutes enjoy your awesome natural remedy.
So that’s it. These were the best home remedies for cold and sore throat. Which one you are going to try? Don’t forget to tell us in the comments section below.