Fakes Soupa is a Greek Lentil Soup made with simple ingredients for a delicious lunch or dinner. This hearty lentil soup is probably the easiest meal you can make for your family. This recipe is available in the Romanian language.
Healthy Greek Lentil Soup
In the winters I make a lot of soups, from Moroccan lentil soup, cream of mushroom soup to this healthy Greek Lentil Soup! This soup is one of my favorite and I love to eat it with a slice of crunchy homemade bread or garlic naan bread.
To make this recipe I have used green lentils but it can be made with brown lentils, red lentils, or black beluga lentils. The only difference will be the cooking time.
For example, brown lentil takes around 35-45 minutes to cook, green lentil takes 45-50 minutes, red lentil boil in 15 to 20 minutes, and black beluga lentil takes 20-25 minutes, but it’s usually great in a salad!
So, keep checking on your Greek Lentil Soup and boil until it reached the desired consistency!
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Greek Lentil Soup
Green lentil: I usually use this variety but any other variety will do. But keep in mind that the cooking time might take more or less.
Tomatoes: To make this recipe, you can use whole peeled tomatoes. Crush them by hand or with a fork.
Onion and Garlic: It gives a nice flavor to the dish.
Carrots: They are healthy and it gives a nice flavor.
Vegetable Stock: I prefer low sodium vegetable stock, but if you don’t have it, then simply add water.
Seasoning: Salt and pepper. For serving, Greeks are using vinegar and fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme, parsley, or sage.
Celery sticks: Is full of antioxidants known to help prevent oxidative stress.
How to Make Homemade Greek Lentil Soup
- Rinse and drain well the lentil and set aside.
- Turn the gas stove on medium flame, and place a large pot. Heat olive oil and saute bay leaf, onion, and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots, and celery and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add 400g crushed canned tomatoes, lentils, vegetable stock, or water, and lastly season it with salt and black pepper to taste. Boil 50-60 minutes.
- Serve hot with chili flakes, vinegar, and fresh herbs.
Keep leftovers in the fridge in a covered container for 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Greek Lentil Soup Recipe
Best Greek Lentil Soup made with simple ingredients for a delicious lunch or dinner.
- 450g green lentil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 liter vegetable stock or water
- 400g whole peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chilli flakes
- Thyme, oregano, parsley, or sage
1. Wash the lentil and drain the water.
2. Put a large pot over medium flame and add olive oil. Once heated, add 1 bay leaf, onion, and garlic. Saute 1-2 minutes.
3. Then add chopped carrots, and celery. Saute again for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the washed lentil, crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then lower the flame, cover and cook for 50-60 minutes or until it reached the texture you want.
5. Add more liquid or seasoning if needed. Serve a delicious bowl of Greek Lentil Soup with crunchy bread or garlic naan bread.