This Chickpeas Spinach Curry is a vegan tasty, healthy and nutritious recipe. It contains iron, protein, and other important nutrients for you!
Vegan Chickpeas Spinach Curry
This Indian curry is extremely easy to make, a maximum of 30 minutes, and it works great for lunch or dinner. Chickpeas Spinach Curry is versatile and works wonderfully paired with flatbread, any other bread, or basmati rice.
This vegan chickpea curry is made with natural ingredients that offer so many benefits for your body. Make this recipe once and you’ll forget about meat!
What Makes This Curry So Healthy?
- Chickpeas contain essential nutrients, including protein, necessary for strong bones, muscles, and healthy glowing skin. Click here to see the (benefits of chickpeas)
This is an ideal staple in every vegan or vegetarian kitchen. In just one cup of chickpeas, you get one-third of the daily protein intake required for an adult.
- Spinach is good for you, so incorporate it into your recipes. It contains a lot of nutrients and just a few calories.
Dark leafy greens such as kale and spinach are important for healthy bones, hair, and skin. Spinach offers iron, vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
- Coconut milk is tasty, nutritious, and versatile. This is the perfect choice for every vegan out there.
When consumed in moderate amounts, coconut milk offers important nutrients such as copper and manganese. It may also support heart health and many other benefits to your body.
How to Make Chickpeas Spinach Curry
The best chickpeas spinach curry for lunch or dinner made with natural spices, the goodness of chickpeas + spinach, and the tanginess of fresh tomatoes. Serve it hot with basmati rice or homemade Indian flatbread.
- 500g chickpeas (soaked overnight, boiled, and drained)
- 150g spinach
- 2 tbsp canola oil or (any other oil of your choice)
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili (finely chopped)
- 2 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly chopped coriander or parsley (for garnishing)
- ½ tsp garam masala (Indian spice blend)
1. Over low flame, heat a large pot and add the canola oil. Add the bay leaf and cumin seeds, and cook for a few seconds.
2. Add the chopped onion and saute for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add one tbsp ginger garlic paste and cook for 1 minute, until the raw smell is gone.
4. Add the green chili and cook for a few seconds, add more chilies if you like it hot.
5. Add the red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, and pepper. Cook over low flame for 3-4 seconds.
6. Now add ¼ cup of water and cook for 2 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes.
7. Cover and cook over low-medium flame until oil separates and tomatoes are well-cooked.
8. Stir in the boiled chickpeas (you can also use canned chickpeas but make sure to drain and rinse them).
9. Pour the coconut milk, bring it to the boiling point, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the chopped spinach and cook for no longer than 2-3 minutes.
10. Turn off the flame and garnish with freshly chopped coriander or parsley. Serve this delicious chickpeas spinach curry with homemade roti, naan, or rice.